From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Wol's lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>, Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 22:17:30
1 Wol's lists wrote:
2 > On 11/11/2018 00:45, Dale wrote:
3 >> This is a lot to think on.  Money wise, and maybe even expansion wise, I
4 >> may go with the PCI SATA cards and add drives inside my case.  I have
5 >> plenty of power supply since it pulls at most 200 watts and I think my
6 >> P/S is like 700 or 800 watts.  I can also add a external SATA card or
7 >> another USB drive to do backups with as well.  At some point tho, I may
8 >> have to build one of those little tiny systems that is basically nothing
9 >> but SATA drive controllers and ethernet enabled.  Have that sitting in a
10 >> closet somewhere running some small OS.  I can always just move the
11 >> drives from my system to it if needed.
12 >
13 > https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/What_is_RAID_and_why_should_you_want_it%3F
16 > (disclaimer - I wrote it :-)
17 >
18 > You've got a bunch of questions to ask yourself. Is this an amateur
19 > setup (sounds a bit like it in that it appears to be a home server) or
20 > is it a professional "money no object" setup.
21 >
22 > Either way, if you spend good money on good disks (WD Red, Seagate
23 > Ironwolf, etc) then most of your investment will be good to
24 > re-purpose. My current 3TB drives are Barracudas - not a good idea for
25 > a fault-tolerant system - which is why the replacements are Ironwolves.
26 >
27 > Then, as that web-page makes clear, do you want your raid/volume
28 > management to be separate from your filesystem - mdraid/lvm under ext4
29 > - or do you want a filesystem that is hardware-aware like zfs or xfs,
30 > or do you want something like btrfs which tries to be the latter, but
31 > is better used as the former.
32 >
33 > One thing to seriously watch out for - many filesystems are aware of
34 > the underlying layer even when you don't expect it. Not sure which
35 > filesystem it is but I remember an email discussion where the
36 > filesystem was aware it was running over mdraid and balanced itself
37 > for the underlying disks. The filesystem developer didn't realise that
38 > mdraid can add and remove disks so the underlying structure can
39 > change, and the recommendation was "once you've set up the raid, if
40 > you want to grow your space move it to a new raid".
41 >
42 > At the end of the day, there is no perfect answer, and you need to ask
43 > yourself what you are trying to achieve, and what you can afford.
44 >
45 > Cheers,
46 > Wol
50 I've considered RAID before.  For what I have here, doing regular
51 backups is enough, I hope.  Right now, I backup family pics from my
52 camera, documents and all the videos, which is a LOT.  If a drive were
53 to fail, at least I have the backups to go to and would lose little if
54 anything.  Since I backup pretty regular, I could still recover most
55 everything that may not have made it to backup.
56
57 I'm on a limited income and this is just a home system.  One thing I try
58 to do is to find a good way forward first, then do something.  That way
59 I don't do something that costs money, realize I did it in a bad way and
60 then have to spend more money doing it again and have parts that I will
61 likely never need or use again.  I try to skip the worthless part when I
62 can.  ;-)
63
64 That said, when I do get some drives and they are installed, I'll likely
65 be asking questions about btrfs, zfs, xfs and anything else that may
66 apply.  Currently I use LVM and ext4.  I like it pretty well but that
67 doesn't mean there can't be something better out there.
68
69 Dale
70