From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 20:41:59
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I've pretty much reached a limit on my backups.  I'm up to a 16TB hard
5 > drive for one and even that won't last long.  Larger drives are much
6 > more costly.  A must have NAS is quickly approaching.  I've been
7 > searching around and find some things confusing.  I'm hoping someone can
8 > clear up that confusion.  I'm also debating what path to travel down.
9 > I'd also like to keep costs down as well.  That said, I don't mind
10 > paying a little more for one that would offer a much better option.
11 >
12 > Path one, buy a NAS, possibly used, that has no drives.  If possible, I
13 > may even replace the OS that comes on it or upgrade if I can.  I'm not
14 > looking for fancy, or even RAID.  Just looking for a two bay NAS that
15 > will work.  First, what is a DAS?  Is that totally different than a
16 > NAS?  From what I've found, a DAS is not what I'm looking for since I
17 > want a ethernet connection and the ability to control things over the
18 > network.  It seems DAS lacks that feature but not real sure.  I'm not
19 > sure I can upgrade the software/OS on a DAS either.
20 >
21 > Next thing.  Let's say a NAS comes with two 4TB drives for a total of
22 > 8TB of capacity from the factory, using LVM or similar software I
23 > assume.  Is that limited to that capacity or can I for example replace
24 > one or both drives with for example 14TB drives for a total of 28TBs of
25 > capacity?  If one does that, let's say it uses LVM, can I somehow move
26 > data as well or is that beyond the abilities of a NAS?  Could it be done
27 > inside my computer for example?  Does this vary by brand or even model?
28 >
29 > Path two, I've researched building a NAS using a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB as
30 > another option.  They come as parts, cases too, but the newer and faster
31 > models of Raspberry Pi 4 with more ram seem to work pretty well.  The
32 > old slower models with small amounts of ram don't fair as well.  While I
33 > want a descent speed, I'm not looking for or expecting it to be
34 > blazingly fast.  I just wonder, if from a upgrade and expansion point of
35 > view, if building a NAS would be better.  I've also noticed, it seems
36 > all Raspberry things come with a display port.  That means I could hook
37 > up a monitor and mouse/keyboard when needed.  That could be a bonus.
38 > Heck, I may can even put some sort of Gentoo on that thing.  :-D
39 >
40 > One reason I'm wanting to go this route, I'm trying to keep it small and
41 > able to fit inside my fire safe.  I plan to buy a media type safe that
42 > is larger but right now, it needs to fit inside my current safe.  Most
43 > of the 2 bay NAS or a Raspberry Pi based NAS are fairly small.  They not
44 > much bigger than the three external hard drives and a couple bare drives
45 > that currently occupy my safe.
46 >
47 > One thing I'd like to have no matter what path I go down, the ability to
48 > encrypt the data.  My current backup drives are encrypted and I'd like
49 > to keep it that way.  If that is possible to do.  I suspect the
50 > Raspberry option would since I'd control the OS/software placed on it.
51 > I could be wrong tho.
52 >
53 > One last thing.  Are there any NAS type boxes that I should absolutely
54 > avoid if I go that route?  Maybe it is a model that has serious
55 > limitations or has other problems.  I think the DAS thing may be one for
56 > me to avoid but I'm not for sure what limits it has.  Google didn't help
57 > a lot. It also could be as simple as, avoid any model that says this in
58 > the description or uses some type of software that is bad or limits
59 > options.
60 >
61 > Thoughts?  Info to share?  Ideas on a best path forward?  Buy already
62 > built or build?
63 >
64 > Thanks.
65 >
66 > Dale
67 >
68 > :-)  :-)
71 It does appear that several people are making it so NAS boxes can be
72 easily built by us nerdy types and not be huge.  Things are a bit
73 interesting right now for hardware and such.  Some parts are expensive,
74 hard to find or just plain unavailable.  Still, I suspect that this will
75 get better later on.  The good thing, people are working on this. There
76 is interest in having a option.
77
78 I may in the meantime have to split up my large directory and the
79 resulting backup.  Split it in half or something.  I just bought a 16TB
80 hard drive.  It's over 90% full already.  That said, my downloading is
81 slowing down quite a lot.  It will last a while.  I may setup a old
82 system as a NAS and just keep it in a outbuilding for the time being.
83 Should offer me some protection at least.
84
85 If anyone runs up on some info that might relate to this, please share.
86 Maybe something new will come out that we don't know about now. If I do
87 build something, I'll likely post and share what I used, how much effort
88 was involved and the end results. Maybe this will help others as well.
89
90 Thanks.
91
92 Dale
93
95
96 P. S.  I currently have a spare 14TB, 8TB and 6TB hard drive not in
97 use.  That's 28TBs available.  That's a good start on a NAS as far as
98 drives go.  Currently in use in external enclosures for backups, 16Tb,
99 8TB and a 6TB hard drive.