From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID 1 vs RAID 0 - Read perfonmance
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 17:05:02
1 On 24-Feb-14 7:27, Facundo Curti wrote:
2
3 > n= number of disks
4 >
5 > reads:
6 > raid1: n*2
7 > raid0: n*2
8 >
9 > writes:
10 > raid1: n
11 > raid0: n*2
12 >
13 > But, in real life, the reads from raid 0 doesn't work at all, because if
14 > you use "chunk size" from 4k, and you need to read just 2kb (most binary
15 > files, txt files, etc..). the read speed should be just of n.
16
17 Definitely not true. Very rarely you need to read just one small file.
18 Mostly you need many small files (i.e. compilation) or a few big files
19 (i.e. database). I do not know what load you expect, but in my case
20 raid0 (with SSD) gave me about twice the r/w speed on heavily-loaded
21 virtualization platform with many virtual machines. And not only speed
22 is higher, but also IOPS are splitted to two disks (nearly doubled).
23
24 I did some testing with 2xSSD/512GB in raid1, 2xSSD/256GB in raid0 and
25 3xSSD/256GB in raid5 (I used 840/pro SSD with quite good HW-controller
26 but I think with mdadm it might be similar). Raid0 was way ahead of
27 other two configurations in my case.
28
29 Finally I went for 4xSSD/256GB in raid10 as I needed both speed and
30 redundancy...
31
32 Jarry
36 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
37 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.