From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird harddisk problem: AHCI disks sometimes not found
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 22:08:49
1 On 3/11/21 12:39 PM, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3
4 Hi,
5
6 > I have a weird harddisk detection problem which rises the questio:
7 > what does the gentoo-kernel make differently than the ubuntu kernel?
8
9 Probably multiple things. They probably have configurations that are at
10 least slightly different. I wouldn't be surprised if there is slightly
11 different levels of patching too.
12
13 My understanding is that gentoo-kernel differs slightly from a vanilla
14 kernel source.
15
16 > Without the Ubuntu observation I'd say its a hardware problem
17
18 I'd still be inclined to question hardware. But I agree that difference
19 in behavior based on different software is suspicious. I wonder if the
20 Gentoo kernel is tickling a bug in the drive's firmware.
21
22 > and the old HDDs are simply beyond their age, but why are they working
23 > in ubuntu and not in gentoo?
24
25 I don't think that older drives would fail in the way that you are
26 describing.
27
28 > And what is it doing with BIOS/Harddisk that even Bios does not find
29 > it anymore?
30
31 That sounds to me like the drive itself is misbehaving and not
32 responding the way the BIOS expects.
33
34 > I need a full powercycle to make bios find it again.
35
36 That really sounds like the drive is having a problem. Or that the
37 Gentoo kernel is inducing the drive into a state that is a problem.
38
39 What happens if you unplug power and data cables from the drive and then
40 reconnect them? Does the BIOS then see the drive?
41
42 I'm wondering if it's the drive and / or controller that's getting wedged.
43
44 > This indicates a gentoo kernel problem, and I have no idea where
45 > to start looking, and AFAIK there's nothing much to configure a
46 > SATA/AHCI drive.
47
48 As Mark indicated, you should be able to compare kernel configs.
49
50 I don't remember hearing about such a bug. I wonder if the Gentoo
51 kernel is trying to do something slightly different and tickling a
52 subtle bug that is causing the drive and / or controller to lock up.
53
54 I'd think that it would be easy to remove power and data cables from the
55 drive while the computer is powered on to see if that also revives the
56 drive.
57
58 > Any ideas?
59