From: Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman <buanzo@××××××××××.ar>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT im more just curious
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:29:19
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
5 > Thanks :-) And now, here I stand corrected: The thread has actually
6 > become a cultural excercise and social mailing list event! Maybe we
7 > even make it into the GWN: "Big outing party on gentoo-user" or
8 > similar ;-)
9
10 OH YES :)
11
12 > OK, I hope I adhere to the auto-adjusted standard for writing one's
13 > Gentoo/Linux/Computing history ;-) :
14
15 Damn, so far your story is the msot similar to mine. Please, fellow gentooers, allow me to extend my
16 bio, while quoting Hans:
17
18 > I'm at the end of 26, using Linux since about 1996 (there was this
19 > Corel Linux distribution on some magazine's cover CD...), quickly
20
21 I'm in the middle of 25, using linux since about 1994 (there was this minilinux.zip 11MB file on
22 some BBS...), quickly chosing Slackware (from the famous Infomagic's Linux Developer Resource CD
23 sets, I got like 4 of them), then SuSE. I never liked Debian. I used SuSE without YaST.
24
25 I was worn 8/2/82 (yes, at 23:32, lots of mathematical bizarreness here, most numbers in my life
26 have to do with 2 and 8 :P)
27 I started programming at the age of 8, in a Commmodore 64 my biological father had. Then he left,
28 and until 10/11 years old I couldn't get my own computer. I still remember saving every penny I
29 could. In the end I got a 80286, 20/25Mhz, no HD, and 5 1/4" floppy for AR$ 6.200.000 (like USD 620
30 at that time) in 1990, 1991... I continued programming (although I did at primary school, and the
31 teachers insisted on my mom to get me a computer): more quickbasic, then turbo pascal. I wrote my
32 first BBS for MS-DOS in Turbo Pascal 7.0. I remember using the TurboPower COMM libraries for it
33 (incidentally, my best friend in USA was one of the top programmers at TurboPower...). A couple of
34 years later, I got the minilinux, then full Slackware. That's when I decided to get my own telephone
35 line ("Mom, PLEASE, PLEASE, let me have my BBS! I won't dial other BBSes!"), and started writing a
36 new, from scratch, BBS system: multiuser, it had instant messaging, tree-based forums, file
37 attachments, private email and multiuser conference, anybody wants the source?). It was my first
38 stake at C. Learning C AND Linux at the same time, at that time, provided LOTS of OS knowledge. I
39 still fix most things by [spl]tracing to find out bugs, or by writing interposers, etc.
40
41 I was starting secondary school and decided to study electronics. That's where assembler started. I
42 was bad with soldering, but good at microcontrollers :P. Although I already knew about secure
43 coding, learning how to write an exploit helped a lot.
44
45 As I was interested in Security I never dropped other OSes 100%. Of course, all my servers run
46 Linux, but at home I had Microsofts' OSes and other stuff, mainly for research purposes. I work and
47 play and everything under Linux.
50 > At the age of 15, I felt in love with the FIDO-Net (I was
51 > 2:240/6010.29, later 2:240/9301.29), only to dump my first registered
52 > shareware, CrossPoint, a few months later when the internet was
53 > starting to make its first steps in the private sector in germany.
54
55 I was a fido point! 4:900/748.3. I was a node for 3 other networks too (Music & Sound, Desertic and
56 another I can recall the name).
57
58 > Now, I earn my little money with programming (just boring web stuff)
59 > and administration, while studying law (funny choice given the
60 > background, eh?).
61
62 Now, I earn my little money with consulting, programming (just boring systems stuff :P) and
63 administration, while playing punk-pop with my band (PLUG! PLUG
64 www.purevolume.com/futurabandapunkpop everything released in creative commons license) and I never
65 went to university.
66
67 In .ar I wrote many articles in different magazines, given talks on security, programming and FLOSS,
68 I was 6 months in one of Cable tv's most famous technology programms [yeah, talking and everything],
69 and had the chance of meeting Vinton Cerf (I had a nice talk with him, told me I was just a living
70 example of why he created internet. I still have wet dreams about that.), Richard stallman, Jon
71 "maddog" Hall, Roger Dingledine from the TOR project, and many other hackers while giving a speech
72 about covert channels in the Bolivian hacker conference. That's as far as I got from Buenos Aires.
73
74 Basicly, this story is a big thank you for the GNU project, Linus Torvalds and BIG TEAM, and
75 everyone else that contributed to what I've been using since the beginning to become what I'm now. A
76 big geek with a potential rfc in his hands. :P
77
78 Somebody kick me.
79
80 - --
81 Arturo "Buanzo" Busleiman - Consultor Independiente en Seguridad Informatica
82 Foros GNU/Buanzo: Respeto, Soluciones y Buena Onda: http://foros.buanzo.com.ar
83 Consulting and Secure Mail Hosting: http://www.buanzo.com.ar/pro/
92 --
93 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list