From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 23:25:33
1 ...
2 > I would strongly advise you to make your own measurements and heed
3 > your own counsel. I can only speak from my own experience, and I may
4 > well be speaking a whole load of codswallop. Or I may be right and the
5 > opposing view is wrong. Who's to tell?
6 >
7 > My own experience with backing swap has been almost uniformly bad,
8 > especially on machines running Apache and MySQL due to the massive
9 > performance hit it invariably causes. I see memory as a finite
10 > resource - you only have so much of it, so use it wisely and stay away
11 > from using all of it up.
12 >
13 > The oom killer is also a point of contention. The algorithm is
14 > designed to try and detect the best pid to kill in order to keep the
15 > machine up, but there is no measurement for "least important process".
16 > So instead it has to infer it from time last used, time running and
17 > various other bits. These assumptions can never be 100% right.
18 >
19 > I believe the best solution to running out of memory is well-written
20 > apps that degrade or die gracefully when they hit out of memory
21 > conditions. I always thought Apache was rather good at this, it would
22 > simply kill of the child process and deliver an error. You seem to
23 > have found a way round this :-)
24
25 I'd like to know more about that if anyone has info on it. apache2 is
26 supposed to detect when the system runs out of memory and proceed to
27 kill child processes? It failed to do so on my system which then
28 proceeded to lock up.
29
30 > kashani's advice seems reasonable, tune your machine to suit it's
31 > load. We've established that the problem was a client hitting your
32 > webserver 300 times in a minute. That is a DOS, so the solution would
33 > be to find a way to configure Apache to detect abuse like this and not
34 > deliver the page.
35
36 So any apache system that hasn't been configured with a special
37 security module can be locked up by refreshing a page a suitable
38 number of times within a suitable amount of time?
39
40 > But back to swap. I have two cases where it is rather useful. This
41 > notebook uses swap for image storage when hibernating, and my Sybase
42 > database servers at work use swap well, retrieving data pages from
43 > swap is faster than searching through the database indexes for where
44 > they are, simply because the kernel alredy knows exactly where the
45 > swapped data is on disk. But this is a niche circumstance and in no
46 > way representative of a typical Linux machine's behaviour.
47
48 In situations like the above, would you prefer a swap file to a swap
49 partition? It sounds better to me.
50
51 > Summary: Do your own tests, make your own conclusions and vigorously
52 > defend them.
53 >
54 > Sorry for the complete lack of a definitive answer, we are victims of
55 > TheRealWorldOutThere(tm)
56
57 I can handle that. :)
58