From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] [OT vmware] Networking Gentoo as guest on vista
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 06:39:27
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: news [mailto:news@×××××××××.org] On Behalf Of reader@×××××××.com
3 > Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2008 7:12 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT vmware] Networking Gentoo as guest on vista
6 >
7 > I'm hoping some of you here have run gentoo on a windows host and will
8 > know something about the various networking possibilities.
9 >
10 > My setup:
11 >
12 > Wireless connected laptop running windows vista premium home
13 > Local lan network connected to internet via cable.
14 >
15 > Home router has the internet connection and wireless laptop is joined
16 > into lan by a WAP (Wireless access point). With static ip addressing
17 > (not dhcp).
18 >
19 > When setting up gentoo in the virtual machine you have two main
20 > approaches to networking. Bridged and NAT.
21 >
22 > Can anyone tell me which is best suited for my setup.
23 > Starting the 2008.0 minimal iso file in vmware... I end up with a
24 > working network immediately without doing a thing.
25 >
26 > Maybe I can just transfer those settings somehow but there are no
27 > setting in /etc/conf.d/net on the install disk.
28 >
29 > It appears to have gotten an address from a dhcp server built into
30 > vmware.
31 >
32 > I don't want to jerk around with wireless setting for the gentoo
33 > install and would prefer to connect thru the hosts ip and nameserver.
34 >
35 > Should I use `Bridged' or `Nat'. And how to set it up after making
36 > that decision.
37
38 I run XP (with wifi) and VMWare Host with Gentoo VMs all the time.
39
40 Bridged will give your VM an IP address from your router's DHCP pool -- It will look like any other network device on your home network. It will have it's own MAC and everything. In your setup, your router will NAT for you and probably your Vista and your VM will have a 192.168.1.x address unless you changed your router's default subnet / DHCP pool.
41
42 NAT (what I use) is Network Address Translation and will setup a little private network between your Vista host and the VM. The VM will be assigned an IP from VMWare's VMnet8 (NAT) subnet (mine is 192.168.222.0/24). It will be able to get to the internet, but no machines will be able to get to it sans your Vista host. This works EXACTLY like your home router is NATing addresses to the internet for all devices you plug into it. In fact your Vista is most likely NATed via the router.
43
44 In either case, you do NOT have to set up wireless settings in the VM at all. It emulates an AMD PCNET32 ethernet card. In BOTH cases, it will just connect to the network via your host Vista's networking.
47 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list