From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A pared down kernel config
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:16:32
1 Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> writes:
2
3 >> There's a reason for the existence of genkernel - it's so that you don't
4 >> have to go through all this pain and suffering, and can instead remove
5 >> stuff a bit at a time with reasonable confidence it won;t blow up in
6 >> your face :-)
9 > There is a fairly easy trick to get rid of pointless options like unused
10 > drivers even if you are not sure about your hardware or the kernel
11 > options themselves:
12 > Compile them as modules, then boot the new kernel. If the modules don't
13 > get loaded (lsmod is your friend) and everything works fine, throw them
14 > out of your configuration.
15
16 Nice... a small question: how do you keep up with what gets installed?
17 Do you ferret them out at /lib/modules with cmds like
18 find . -name '*.ko'
19
20 Or is there a log created at compile time.. or maybe create one like
21 make modules_intall >mymod.log. Just thinking outload.
22
23 Following a `genkernal all' I saw a very big list get installed but didn't
24 think to log them.
25
26 I guess it would be harmless to just run the `make modules_intall' part
27 again and catch a list.
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list