From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 17:08:13
1 On 01/16/2011 01:18 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday 16 January 2011 03:25:41 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Did you remember to repoint the /usr/src/linux link? IIRC the
5 >>> module is built to suit whatever kernel that is pointing to. If
6 >>> its not set correctly you'll need to re-emerge nvidia-drivers.
7 >>
8 >> linux is pointing correctly and it was after I emerged the
9 >> nvidia-drivers that I got the invalid argument.
10 >
11 > You can't emerge nvidia-drivers if /usr/src/linux points to a kernel
12 > version other than the currently running one - it complains it can't find
13 > a valid kernel config. This means that, after emerging a new kernel
14 > version, it's necessary to reboot with the new kernel (and fail to start
15 > X) before it's possible to remerge nvidia-drivers to suit the new kernel
16 > - you can't do it in advance.
17 >
18 > On this ~amd64 multilib box, 260.19.29 has run trouble-free with gentoo-
19 > sources 2.6.36-r5, 2.6.36-r6 and 2.6.37. Perhaps your -multilib USE flag
20 > is causing trouble.
21
22 You can *always* compile any package against your choice of kernel. Just
23 use "KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/mykerneldir emerge package". It doesn't have to
24 be the running kernel or the current kernel.