From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 7.3 + kernel 4.15 = spectre_v2 fixed
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 12:05:06
1 On Wednesday, 31 January 2018 11:30:13 GMT Martin Vaeth wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Yeah, that's the kind of software that benefits from the Spectre
4 > > mitigation patches. Like browsers, virtualization or emulation software,
5 > > the kernel, etc.
6 >
7 > No. It's software like gnupg, encfs, openssl and all the library they
8 > use (glibc, glib, X etc) which need these patches.
9 >
10 > > Rebuilding the whole system with these flags on doesn't sound like a
11 > > good idea. Now, I don't know if it would hurt anything, but it's not
12 > > uncommon for build flags to break random stuff.
13 >
14 > Yep. On x86, gcc cannot compile itself if built with -fno-plt.
15 >
16 > > I haven't seen any word from anyone yet as to whether these flags are
17 > > actually recommended or not on a system-wide basis.
18 >
19 > Actually, it is not even clear in the moment which flags should be
20 > used in which settings. (There has been some discussion in the
21 > gentoo forums but to no completely satisfactory result yet.)
22 >
23 > > So my educated guess is: No. Don't do that.
24 >
25 > Yes and no: It is probably recommended, but the flags are so no and
26 > so poorly understood that people are hesitating with recommendations.
27 > Also, spectre is hard to exploit, so it is perhaps better to wait in
28 > the moment until some experience ins there.
29 >
30 > > If a package is affected, it
31 > > stands to reason that the upstream of that package would change their
32 > > build system to use these new flags where needed.
33 >
34 > No, for many reasons:
35 >
36 > 1. Packages often try to not add any flags; especially in gentoo it is a
37 > policy that they _must_ not: If they do, it would get patched out in gentoo.
38 >
39 > 2. A library has no idea what it is used for. Why should it add something,
40 > only because some program using it should be protected?
41 >
42 > 3. Adding the flags slows down the programs. It is the user who must
43 > decide whether patches are desirable for his use case and architecture.
44 > (Maybe this is less relevant know but in a while when versions of
45 > processors "immune" to spectre come out.)
46
47 Just to dilute my confusion on what I should do to keep desktops safe(r),
48 would someone please clarify:
49
50 Is it necessary to keyword gcc 7.3 + kernel 4.15 and emerge kernel 4.15 with
51 gcc 7.3, or wait until these versions have been stabilised in the tree?
52
53 What gcc version shall I use to update @world from then on?
54
55 PS. Some desktops are Intel, some are AMD and I also have 3-4 devices with ARM
56 in them ...
57 --
58 Regards,
59 Mick