From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] How to be a penguin.
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 16:26:08
1 On 05/29/2016 02:20 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> I have a weekly system health check cron job that includes revdep-rebuild
4 >> -pi (hint to Alan: that's the correct way to have revdep-rebuild ignore
5 >> the results of previous runs). It rarely finds anything. There's still
6 >> the occasional glitch with preserved-libs, but I fons it works
7 >> ninety-lots % of the time, and it is far better than the "let it break
8 >> then try to fix it approach" of the days we needed to rely on
9 >> revdep-rebuild.
14 > I haven't ran revdep-rebuild in likely over a year. Just for giggles, I
15 > ran it a bit ago. The only thing it found was libreoffice. That's not
16 > exactly a critical package or anything. Given that, I don't think it
17 > really serves any point.
18 >
19 > I wonder if me having backtrack set to 100 helps with that? Of course,
20 > unlike poor Alan, I also have a sane approach to upgrading. I also run
21 > the latest non-9999 version of portage.
22 >
23 > Dale
24 >
29 I should correct myself, I always run revdep-rebuild after a depclean.
30 The point it, portage doesn't catch everything, regardless of its
31 importance or not.
32
33 Dan