From: Iain Buchanan <iain@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] memtest fails, but is it the RAM?
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 00:36:03
1 Hi all, slightly OT I know, but the usual excuses apply :)
2
3 I'm running memtest from a live-cd on a P4 3GHz HT desktop, with two
4 sticks of corsair VS512MB on an ASUS P4P800-X.
5
6 It always freezes at the start of "test 3". The cursor keeps flashing,
7 and there is no display corruption, but I can't do anything but press
8 the reset button.
9
10 I've swapped the sticks around, used either by themselves, tried
11 different slots, - everything except completely different RAM.
12
13 I've never seen this behaviour with memtest before, actually, I've never
14 had it fail, so I don't know how it fails. It seems a bit strange that
15 it fails the same way regardless of what I do - could it possibly be a
16 hardware/memtest incompatibility, and not actually a faulty memory
17 problem?
18
19 (Ultimately, I'm trying to diagnose a random reboot problem, which makes
20 me suspicious of the memory, but I'm not sure)
21
22 thanks heaps for the advice,
23 --
24 Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp dot com dot au>
25
26 Given some of the recent threads, the interactive discussions might
27 need to be conducted on canvas, in the presence of a referee, while
28 wearing padded gloves. ;-)
29 -- Phil Hands
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list