From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Epic list of total FAIL.
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 00:36:25
1 On Friday, August 21, 2015 11:00:16 AM Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > > On 2015-08-21, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Earlier I saw segfaults in gcc, and another poster pointed it out.
6 > >>
7 > >> When gcc segfaults, it is always suspicious mostly because the compiler
8 > >> is an app where we know the devs take extraordinary measures to prevent
9 it.
10 > >>
11 > >> The most common cause is faulty hardware (most often memory) as gcc
12 > >> tends to use all of it in ways no other app does. The usual procedure
13 > >> at this point is to run memtest for an extended period - say 48
14 > >> hours, or even 72 for an older slow machine.
15 > > That is definitely good advice. I've run into this situation several
16 > > times. A machine had bad RAM that didn't seem to cause any problems
17 > > under "normal" operation. But, when trying to compile something large
18 > > like gcc, I would see non-repeatable segfaults (it wouldn't always
19 > > segfault at the exact same point). In those cases, I could often run
20 > > memtest for several passes and not see an error. But, _eventually_
21 > > ramtest would catch it. Run memtest for a few days. Really.
22 >
23 > Yeah, I know there's a single bit error out at the end of RAM that will
24 > appear on the third or fourth pass...
25 >
26 > I have already RMA'd half of the ram in this machine because it was
27 > giving a whole fist-full of errors across two sticks... I run the rusty
28 > old bus on the CPU ( SIX CORES!!!!) a bit harder than it was intended
29 > in order to keep up with the new junk. My previous machine had ECC. =(
30 >
31 > I was advised to just jack the voltage a little bit and live with it. I
32 > guess I'd better run more tests and see what the situation is....
33 >
34 > It just doesn't seem reasonable to demand that every bit in a 32
35 > gigabyte memory bank be absolutely perfect....
36
37 LOL. It's perfectly reasonable.
38 If it's under warranty, return it. And get a different brand cause it sounds
39 like what you got is crap.
40
41 If it's not under warranty and after running the test for an extended period
42 as adviced you're sure that it's only a single bad bit at the highest end you
43 can boot with the mem= option. Also see memmap and memtest.
44
45 https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
48 Fernando Rodriguez