From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -j, make -j and make -l
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 23:15:53
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 7:22 AM, Michael Mol<mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I just wanted to share an experience I had today with optimizing parallel
4 >> builds after discovering "-l" for Make...
5 >>
6 >> I've got a little more tweaking I still want to do, but this is pretty
7 >> awesome...
8 >>
9 >> http://funnybutnot.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/optimizing-parallel-builds/
10 >>
11 >> ZZ
12 > Good post Michael. Thanks.
13 >
14 > I want to verify that in make.conf this is indeed MAKEOPTS we are
15 > talking about and not EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS.
16 >
17 > Currently for my i7-980x (6 physical cores + hyper threading = 12
18 > logical cores) I have:
19 >
20 > MAKEOPTS="-j3"
21 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y "
22 > PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}"
23 >
24 > I generally keep -j small day-to-day to allow emerge to work more or
25 > less the background while I'm using the machine for other things. If I
26 > was going to do an emerge -e @world then in the past I'd push it up
27 > for 13. (N+1)
28 >
29 > I've not used the -l option but it sounds interesting. If I understand
30 > the then you're suggesting in /etc/make.conf
31 >
32 > MAKEOPTS="-j13 -l7"
33 >
34 > or something in that range for a full blown emerge -e @world?
35 >
36 > - Mark
41 You should also look into this setting if you want to let portage run in
42 the background:
43
44 PORTAGE_NICENESS=5
45
46 I have a 4 core system and run this:
47
48 MAKEOPTS="-j16 -l10"
49 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="-j8 "
50
51 I can't even tell portage is running. Heck, I even watch videos and
52 such. No problems with slowdown at all.
53
54 Oh, the -l10 is sort of new. The -j16 is changing a bit over time.
55 Trying to test speed to see what is fastest. So far, no compile race
56 problems either.
57
58 Dale
59
63 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!