From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Docker + systemd since cgroups v2
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 16:00:58
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:12:08 -0400,
Andrew Udvare wrote:
> > For reference: uname -r: 5.2.13-gentoo, systemd version 243_rc2-r1[cgroup-hybrid], ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" > > My system started failing to start running docker.service automatically and the logs weren't too helpful. Finally I ran dockerd on its own and found that it gave me this error message: > > Devices cgroup isn't mounted > > This is not too easy to diagnose as there seem to be a set of solutions but none of the main two worked for me. One involved setting 2 options on the kernel command line: > > cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1 > > And the other was to add USE="cgroup-hybrid" to systemd. I did this, but it too it did not work. > > The other solution is to simply mount the cgroup manually and this works but I did not see why I'd have to do that now when I never had to in the past. > > I actually had to add this to my command line: > > systemd.legacy_systemd_cgroup_controller=yes > > This has been noted in other distros but from what I can tell this is solely because runc has not been updated to be able to use cgroups v2. > > Anyone else ran into this issue? Is there something I am missing so I wouldn't need to pass a kernel command line option? > > Reference links: > > https://docs.docker.com/install/linux/linux-postinstall/#your-kernel-does-not-support-cgroup-swap-limit-capabilities > https://github.com/opencontainers/runc/issues/654 > https://github.com/opencontainers/runc/issues/1175 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Docker#Docker_service_fails_because_cgroup_device_not_mounted_.28systemd.29
I ran into this issue when going from 4.19.56 to 4.19.68 kernel. Perhaps I will try this option later on, but I wonder if we could file a bug with sgentoo or somewhere? -- Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is: How do you spend it? John Covici wb2una covici@××××××××××.com