From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] In search of a "good" windowmanager
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 17:14:26
1 Lars Gustäbel <lars@×××××××××.de> [09-09-12 18:52]:
2 > On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 03:40:56PM +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > I would like to hear from others what experiences they made with
4 > > what windowmanagers.
5 >
6 > Hi!
7 >
8 > I've been using fvwm2 (http://fvwm.org) for years now and am quite happy with
9 > it. Although it may look old and strange at first (the default settings are
10 > rather horrible IIRC), it is possible to configure every tiny detail of it
11 > using config files. I am still sometimes amazed of what you can do with it.
12 > The fvwm manpage has everything you need to know.
13 > The complexity is also its main drawback: it took me several weeks to have
14 > it the way I wanted it. fvwm is indeed rather complicated at first but that's
15 > why it's so powerful. It is really flexible and you can still use all the
16 > little gui tools out there from other window managers. One cool feature of fvwm
17 > is that you can assign different window styles based on the application, e.g. I
18 > have a graphical system monitor on my third desktop, that is started when I log
19 > in via .xinitrc and always stays on bottom, never gets the focus and does not
20 > appear in the window list or on the task bar, so it does not interfere with the
21 > rest of the system at all.
22 > Before using fvwm2 I used KDE which had too much stuff I didn't really need.
23 > (However, I am still using the KDE kicker panel with fvwm, which I think is
24 > quite funny.) When I looked for a new window manager I tried fluxbox for a few
25 > days, but it did not convince me. Then I tried fvwm and stayed with it.
26 >
27 > Regards,
28 >
29 > --
30 > Lars Gustäbel
31 > lars@×××××××××.de
32 >
33 > Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little
34 > temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
35 > (Benjamin Franklin)
36
37 Hi Lars,
38
39 thanks for your hint ! :)
40
41 Will check that !
42
43 Best regards
44 mcc
51 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
52 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
53 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
54 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.