From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 22:35:15
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 10:08:02PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >> I have a couple questions.  I currently have the NAS thingy on a older
5 >> Dell machine.  It has a 4 core CPU and 8GBs of ram so it is acceptable,
6 >> for the time being at least.  Bad thing is, only two drive bays.  :/  I
7 >> have a few questions that I can't quite find answers to with google.
8 >>
9 >> 1:  I have the OS on a USB stick.  From what I've read, they do fail due
10 >> to wear at some point.
11 > OTOH, TrueNAS is designed to run from it, so I would assume it handles its
12 > root drive with care. Perhaps you can disable verbose logging and such.
13
14 I've just read that changes were made a while back and they recommend
15 not using a USB stick anymore.  It works but they tend to not last as
16 long as they once did.  There could be any number of variables in that
17 tho.
20 >> If I reinstall TrueNAS on a new USB stick, will it automatically see the
21 >> previous pools and such or do I have to set everything up again fresh?
22 > Pools and their metadata are stored inside the pools. In Linux, you don’t
23 > even need to set up fstab. The pool stores its mount point internally. So
24 > you just start the zfs daemon and it does everything magically.
25 >
26 >> In other words, will I lose data?
27 > You won’t lose data, of course. But I think you meant settings(?). Probably
28 > about users, shares and such. Perhaps it has an export feature which can be
29 > run periodically.
30 >
31 >> This also includes if it is encrypted.
32 > Encryption is a built-in ZFS feature. So yes, it will remember that. Not
33 > sure about the decryption process (keyfile).
34
35 That's what I was expecting.  I may test that theory just so I don't run
36 into any surprises.  I kinda figure it works a lot like LVM does.
37 Different but details stored on the drive itself.  Basically, works
38 wherever you put it.
42 >> 2:  Hardware change.  The Dell comes with a 100MB network card.  I
43 >> ordered a 1GB card.  I plan to put it in when it gets here.  Will it see
44 >> the new card and work automatically or will it take some work to get the
45 >> network going?
46 > I assume the kernel is built like many general-purpose-distros: with
47 > everything in it you may need for the purpose. But since it is BSD, it may
48 > have driver issues (availability and stability for certain cards).
49 > Sometimes, when I read news about a new product, people complain that the
50 > NIC is not Intel and will thus cause problems with BSD, especially with
51 > niche stuff like the Killer-brand ethernet cards.
52 >
53 >> and recompile.  I'm not sure about BSD tho.  Since it is sort of a
54 >> binary thing, does TrueNAS handle hardware changes such as a network
55 >> card well?
56 > I don’t see a connection between being a “binary thing” and hardware change.
57 > Your gentoo is also a binary thing once it is compiled. ;-)
58
59 My thinking was, I didn't compile any of the software myself.  Sort of
60 like if I install a binary based distro.  It may have a feature or
61 driver turned on, it may not. Maybe you are right, it will at least have
62 the driver it needs built as a module and it will load it and work
63 fine.  I have the same card in my Gentoo box so it is Linux compatible
64 so in theory, should work in BSD as well.  I'd think.  ;-)  First thing,
65 it has to get here.  It's already two days later than originally claimed.
66
67 >> I also found out something power wise.  The Dell when booted and sitting
68 >> idle consumes about 120 watts monitor and all.
69 > I figured as much when you mentioned its 100 Mbps card. It must be old then,
70 > and back then, idle power was a non-issue.
71 >
72 >> My main rig consumes just under 200 watts.  Not to bad
73 > That’s a very lot for my taste. With a lower mid-range GPU (110 W Radeon R7
74 > 370) and one spinning rust, my 8-year-old PC used to idle at 50 W. Without
75 > the HDD and with Intel graphics it is now at 27 W. Still not a good number
76 > when compared with today’s hardware.
77
78 My Gentoo rig is a little old too.  AMD 8 core CPU, 32GBs of memory,
79 LOTS of hard drives.  I think there is eight in there right now.  A
80 couple may be older but most are newer.
83 >> but a Raspberry Pi would likely consume 15, 20 watts max according to what
84 >> I've read.
85 > My 3B idles at 5 W tops, I think. It cannot be much more under load since it
86 > comes without a built-in heat spreader.
87 >
88 >> Given the number of hard drives, it could pull 25 or 30 watts max but
89 >> doubtful it would get that high.  I'm looking at 4 bays but also found a 6
90 >> bay.  I think 6 is overkill tho.
91 > My four-bay NAS has four 6 TB drives and it draws around 50 W at idle. But
92 > that’s because it is a server board, incuding IPMI chip (and—interestingly—
93 > an internal USB-A for an OS stick). And it’s Haswell generation, so almost a
94 > decade old design. For this reason I switch it on only every few weeks or
95 > even months and only keep it running for a short time.
98 From what I've read, the Raspberry Pi pretty much all sip on power.
99 They really efficient.  It's nice to know that even tho the one you
100 mention is more powerful, even it only pulls 50 watts.  Thing is, I
101 don't plan to run the one I build except when updating backups.  The
102 rest of the time, tucked into the fire safe.
103
104 Thanks for the info.  Now to read next response.
105
106 Dale
107