From: Tuomo Hartikainen <tth@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ro /
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 15:59:14
1 On 2017-01-12 11:39, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 05:35:09 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 > > When I do a upgrade and need to know what processes or services need to
5 > > be restarted, I use this command that someone posted about on here a
6 > > long time ago.
9 > > root@fireball / # equery b checkrestart
10 > > * Searching for checkrestart ...
11 > > app-admin/checkrestart-0.47-r3 (/usr/sbin/checkrestart)
12 >
13 > There's also needrestart that is a little more intelligent, can
14 > optionally restart services for you and also works with systemd as well
15 > as old school init systems.
18 > --
19 > Neil Bothwick
20 >
21 > .sig a .sog of sixpence.
22
23 For OpenRC there's also restart_services[1]. I've grown to like it
24 better over checkrestart. Typically it restarts the services that need
25 restarting automatically, but you can define services as "critical" and
26 need an extra flag (-c) for restarting them. For a mail server, for
27 example, you might want to take extra care before restarting Postfix
28 after something has updated.
29
30 [1]: https://dev.gentoo.org/~mschiff/restart_services/
33 Tuomo Hartikainen