From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slightly OT - My new SSD.
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 00:28:12
1 > I think q0 is the "administrative" queue, and the other 8 are ordinary
2 > queues. (Sorry, I read that somewhere, but can't remember where).
5 Good to know.
8 > > .... but on your system i'd say there should be some queues on other
9 > > interrupts to they can be serviced by other cores, so that doesnt look
10 > > right.
11 >
12 > It wasn't right.
13 >
14 > > Do you have MSI enabled? Bus options -> PCI Support -> Message Signaled
15 > > Interrupts (MSI and MSI-X)
16 >
17 > I didn't have MSI enabled, but do now. I now get 5 queues (nvmeq[0-4])
18 > on four interrups, and the interrupts are spread over the four cores
19 > (I've got a 4 core Athlon).
20 >
21 > > If your system is not too old you may get more interrupts or a better
22 > > spread with that enabled.
23 >
24 > Yes, that is the case. From a "warm start", I was able to copy my 1.4GB
25 > file in 2.76s. This is a bit more like it!
28 Nice!
31 > > You look like you're getting SATA speeds, but since you have the nvme
32 > > device, i guess that implies you havent fallen back to SATA.
33 >
34 > I don't think the SSD has a SATA interface.
37 That was a guess on my behalf - i know that M2 disks can come in SATA or
38 NVMe, but I dont know if NVMe drives can fallback to SATA.
42 > > Could well be older hardware or less PCIe slots/lanes.
43 >
44 > My $ hdparm -tT /dev/nvme0n1 speeds haven't improved since enabling MSI
45 > in the kernel.
48 Ah well, its only a simple synthetic benchmark.
49
50 Adam