From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mc-4.6.1 not showing graphical characters in terminal
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 22:03:32
1 On Saturday 09 September 2006 16:02, Peter wrote:
2 > After
3 > 1) upgrade to gcc 4.1.1
4 > 2) upgrade to profile 2006.1
5 > 3) revdep-rebuild recompile for libstdc++ and for new profile uses (which
6 > included mc)
7 >
8 > Now, issuing mc at a terminal prompt (not inside X) shows no border
9 > characters. Does this have something to do with unicode support? The only
10 > way I can get any useful terminal output is to use the -a output for stick
11 > characters. Inside an xterm or similar, mc shows graphical characters
12 > fine. I re-emerged mc with -unicode, but the results are the same.
13 >
14 > Clues?
15
16 Yup...
17
18 I had the same MC issue after upgrading to the 2006.1 levels. It's a very
19 basic language issue. I'm not sure if it's gcc, glibc or perhaps an xorg
20 module...
21
22 Prior to this upgrade, I never gave language setting a second thought... but
23 once mc began acting up, I started digging around with google and this is
24 what I cobbled up.
25
26 In "/etc/env.d/02locale " I have set: LC_ALL="en_US.ISO-8859-1"
27 In "/etc/rc.conf" I set "UNICODE=no"
28 In "/etc/conf.d/consolefont" I have set: CONSOLETRANSLATION=8859-1_to_UNI"
29
30 That last line makes no since to me, but it seems to be required for MC.
31
32 Last but least run env-update, source /etc/profile and check /etc/profile.env
33 has LC_ALL set to "en_US.ISO-8859-1". It may take a reboot, but once I had
34 made the change, midnight commander began drawing lines again.
35
36 The only other problems I ever had with MC is, if I leave mc running for any
37 length of time, it begins to take more and more cpu resource... Top will show
38 like 80% useage. Once I kill off mc, everything is back to normal. Anyone
39 have a tip for that one?
40
41 Jerry...
42