From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Backing up emails
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:33:24
1 On Thursday 20 January 2011 15:23:08 Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > I know this isnt really a gentoo question but you always seem to come with
5 > an amazing answer in the end ;)
6 >
7 > I've got a friend who uses dreamhost for mail, and he's trying to move away
8 > from it to something a little more customisable.
9 >
10 > The problem is that he has around 2.5Gb of mail in various IMAP folders on
11 > this server. I'm trying to find some way of downloading all this mail but
12 > keeping in its current folder structure.
13 >
14 > I was hoping fetchmail could do it but it doesn't appear (after a quick
15 > read) to support arbitrary folders. I am almost thinking of contacting
16 > dreamhost support and asking if they can tar up the maildirs and give me
17 > access to them via FTP or something.
18 >
19 > I'm hoping someone here has an idea for something that will let me make a
20 > copy of all his mail, in the current folder structure and replicate it
21 > onto another machine.
22 >
23 > Grateful for any help,
24 >
25 > Matt Harrison
26
27 Hi Matt,
28
29 I generally use either of the following two options:
30 - Use a Mail-client (thunderbird, kmail,....) to copy them across (copy folder
31 should work)
32
33 - Use imapsync (net-mail/imapsync) to copy the email from one IMAP-server to
34 another.
37 Joost