From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X Freezes With Firefox on Many Post 2.6.38 Kernels
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 22:56:11
1 On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Joost Roeleveld wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Thursday 28 July 2011 18:37:24 Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> Pardon me.  My brain passed gas here.  lol  Could it be that my drives
8 >>> file system has ran out of inodes or whatever they are called?  That may
9 >>> explain why I can't copy anything to it but it works fine as far as
10 >>> reading goes.
11 >>>
12 >>> Thoughts?  How do I check/change it?  Headed to some man pages too.
13 >>>
14 >>> Dale
15 >>>
16 >>> :-)  :-)
17 >>>
18 >>
19 >> To check this, you could try creating a new file (with size = 0) on the
20 >> root of
21 >> that drive, like (After you close and save all your work):
22 >>
23 >> touch<mountpoint of drive>/LetMeseeIfThisWorksOrIfTheKernelPanicsAgain
24 >>
25 >> If it doesn't panic, check if that file actually exists.
26 >>
27 >> --
28 >> Joost
29 >>
30 >>
31 >>
32 >
33 > It worked fine and it was there with 0 bytes.  Weird.
34 >
35 > I sort of gave up on this drive.  I had a very kind soul to send me a video
36 > card when I did this build. He also sent me a 250Gb drive.  I copied all I
37 > could to that but did lose a LOT of my videos and such.  Anyway, I'm doing
38 > this right now:
39 >
40 > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc
41 >
42 > I figure that will put it back like brand new and very blank.  I'll recreate
43 > my partition, throw a file system on it and see if it will let me copy back
44 > to it or not.
45 >
46 > While I am at it, what is the best file system for videos?  That is the
47 > biggest thing I use that drive for.  I had a LOT of NCIS, CSI and other
48 > shows that are now gone.  Anyway, what are opinions on a file system for
49 > videos on a 750Gb drive?  I had reiserfs on it before.
50
51 I had a few terabytes of my own DVD rips on ext4 on a 3TB RAID5 once
52 upon a time. Worked very well.
53
54
55 --