From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 15:38:57
1 > On 5/31/06, Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > >
3 > > Neil -
4 > >
5 > > I understand your suggestion -- I used the installer as an attempted
6 > > shortcut after having done several (5+) installs via the basic disk
7 and
8 > > the handbook. I have paid for that error in spades - believe me --
9 > > since then I have done an additional 5 or so installations by hand
10 from
11 > > the basic disk. I understand the processes there, I was hoping to
12 > > rescue the additional time for the snort install etc by being able
14 > > just recompile stuff rather than have to start over from the
15 beginning,
16 > > the system is currently running, so I may just end up putting off
17 the
18 > > rebuild till this summer when I have a bit more time -- I was hoping
20 > > be able to change the use flags, build a new kernel and be done with
21 it,
22 > > but that doesn't look to be the case
23 >
24 > Tim...
25 >
26 > I concur with Neil's assessment that you should just wipe the box and
27 > start afresh, the main reason being that you should be running
28 > hardened sources and USE="-*" instead of trying to do a basic install.
29 > Security related boxes such as firewalls, routers, and IDS should be a
30 > slim as possible to eliminate potential for security holes and in all
31 > cases they should be running with the hardened profile. Just my $0.02.
32 >
33 > -Mike
34
35 [Timothy A. Holmes]
36
37 Mike and Neil -- Ok -- sounds good to me --
38
39 At this point then, I am going to actually build a second box for snort
40 perhaps using the hardened sources (I am not in the least comfortable
41 with running hardened on a production box). This will allow me to get
42 things working and evaluate the stability of the hardened sources in my
43 production environment.
44
45 Thanks a bunch for the input
46
47 TIM
50 Timothy A. Holmes
51 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
52
53 Medina Christian Academy
54 A Higher Standard...
55