From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Digital Cinema 4k (4096x2160@60Hz) SST mode display and xf86-video-ati
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 03:03:00
1 Am Montag, 02.02.2015 um 18:57
2 schrieb Sid S <r030t1@×××××.com>:
3
4 > I don't think anybody is capable of giving you a firm answer because
5 > nobody has done it. You would probably be the first. In fact, when
6 > double-checking the info I had found earlier, some of the searches
7 > gave your message in the first 3-4 results. Hi Mom!
8 >
9 > Cards which support UHD should support 4k. You can try to use the
10 > closed driver benchmarks from Phoronix to guesstimate if your intended
11 > usage will be passable
12 > (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1404_4kgpus).
13 > The R7 250E may have issues running a composited desktop. I would not
14 > expect the R9 280X to have issues. Most complaints seem to be from
15 > people with older cards, but then again, those reporting success all
16 > seem to be using closed drivers.
17 >
18 > I rated success likely enough that I was considering a Dell P2415Q w/
19 > the Intel HD4600 (and replacing my motherboard) or an R9 290X. Make
20 > sure you have an exit strategy, though.
21
22 Today I exchanged my Radeon HD4550 video card in my gentoo workstation
23 with a R7 250E. It seems that it works with xfce and composite desktop
24 without problems. The only problem that I now have is the tearing, that
25 occurs when I watch HD videos. The EXAVSync parameter doesn't work with
26 glamor acceleration. When I switch to EXA acceleration I have no xvideo
27 extension and cannot watch videos at all. Maybe I will find a solution
28 for that, but I'm not sure.
29
30 At the moment I use my old monitor with 1920x1200@60Hz. In a few
31 hours I will get the new monitor. Then I will try to use it with
32 4096x2160@50Hz. Because all my videos are using PAL standard I have a
33 very little hope that with 50Hz the tearing will disappear. But I
34 fear that the tearing will even gets worse because of the higher
35 resolution.
36
37 The R9 is for my other machine, which I use for graphics work (RAW
38 conversion etc.) This is a dual boot (gentoo and windows 7) but it
39 mostly run under windows. When the R9 runs much better under gentoo than
40 the R7, I maybe will buy also a R9 for my gentoo workstation. But then I
41 must replace my passive cooled power supply unit too. And I really don't
42 like noisy computers. That's the main reason for the R7. It's cooled
43 passive and it works without problems with my silent 450W power supply
44 unit. The other reason is that I have to spent about 400€ for the R9
45 and a new power supply unit.
46
47 P.S.: Much thanks for the hint about the composite desktop. I
48 deactivated compositing and the tearing is gone. :-) As it costs only a
49 click in the xfce settings I can switch it temporarily off without
50 problems when I wanna watch videos.
51
52 Regards
53 wabe