From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: HTML5 player (YouTube) is a pain!...Alternatives?
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 05:41:58
1 On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 05:33:15 AM Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> [16-11-30 05:08]:
3 > > Am Tue, 29 Nov 2016 07:42:16 +0100
4 > >
5 > > schrieb Meino.Cramer@×××.de:
6 > > > I get sick of this [CESNORED] HTML5 stuff coming from YouTube!
7 > > > Most of the videos while playayaingnaying arereare stututterutering
8 > > > liiklike helellell.
9 > > >
10 > > > I tested a lot of HTML5 addons to fix that problem and googled
11 > > > around the world but nothing helps. The only thing I found is an
12 > > > iconic sentence, which is true in this case also:
13 > > > "You are not alone...!".
14 > > >
15 > > > Is there any way to feed the stream from youtube direktly into
16 > > > a not blown player like mpv/mplayer or such (I would prefer
17 > > > not to load a complete gui (vlc) with any click again and again.)?
18 > >
19 > > For me it was just the other way around. HTML5 mode played much (very
20 > > much!) more smooth than flash player. I opted in early by that time for
21 > > switching YT to HTML5 player. This was for Chrome, of course, because
22 > > by that time Firefox wasn't really compatible.
23 > >
24 > > You probably really should check your graphics stack. If you have an at
25 > > least somewhat decent machine (something which was built during the
26 > > last 5 years), you should have absolutely no problems playing videos in
27 > > the HTML5 player. Even my aging machine in the office (which didn't
28 > > play smooth videos in the flash player) runs full HD streaming videos
29 > > smoothly in the HTML5 player - no stuttering, no blocking, no
30 > > framedrops. This was different with the flash player which looked like
31 > > it dropped every second frame in fullscreen mode - but at least it did
32 > > not stutter due to that "optimization".
33 > >
34 > > Maybe give some information about your graphics stack and
35 > > configuration...
36 >
37 > Hi Kai,
38 >
39 > I think that the hardware is not the problem, since downloading the
40 > video and playing it offline had resulted in no problems ever...
41 >
42 > Cheers
43 > Meino
44
45 Meino,
46
47 In one of your other emails, you mentioned that your ADSL is incapable of
48 providing the full-HD stream.
49 This could easily be the cause for the issues you are having with HTML5 video
50 as well. Maybe look into cache-options?
53 Joost