From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] msmtp vs. nullmailer
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 11:22:13
1 OK, I finally solved this, albeit a bit differently... by switching to
2 nullmailer.
3
4 The TL/DR summary is: use the right tool for the job. Some more details follow
5 below.
6
7 Nullmailer was very easy to set up (the deceptively short HOWTO is pretty much
8 all that is needed). The only problem is that there is no way to rewrite the
9 envelope sender, which is required by my email provider. I solved that...
10 creatively. *However* the master branch contains a change that introduces the
11 "allmailfrom" control file [0], so once version 1.14 is out I can remove the
12 hack.
13
14 This choice came about because I switched from fcron to systemd-cron, which
15 runs its mail_on_failure script as user "nobody", which caused my current
16 "passwordeval" command ("cat somefile", somefile having a mode mask of 0600) to
17 fail due to insufficient access rights. I really didn't want to deal with how
18 to properly solve that, and I don't think it's possible (at least not with
19 msmtp). I mean, the problem statement is basically "How do I securely give
20 every user access to the password?". Once stated that way, I think the
21 difficulty with the problem becomes fairly obvious.
22
23 With nullmailer the remotes file is 0640, with group nullmailer, so only root
24 or nullmailer can access it. It's also simple enough that I simply didn't add
25 it to git. So the password is in plain text, but access is strictly limited.
26
27 But really, I *should* have been tipped off by the package description: "An
28 SMTP client and SMTP plugin for mail user agents such as Mutt". The above
29 problem simply doesn't exist when running msmtp as a normal user (in which case
30 you probably don't even have an /etc/msmtprc).
31
32 [0]
33 https://github.com/bruceg/nullmailer/commit/da55b71b6136bcefc7aa784a7f9fd45987670a7a
34 --
35 Marc Joliet
36 --
37 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
38 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup