From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anybody want to beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:59:28
1 On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 07:52, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Nov 16, 2011 3:21 AM, <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>  The more scenarios we can test, the better.  mdev might shave a second
6 >>  or two off the VM's bootup time, versus udev.
9 > Okay, I have two staging VMs on XenServer and one on VMware. I'm going to
10 > report back what happens. If anything bad happens, *should* be an easy
11 > rollback to the previous snapshot.
14 2nd Report: amd64-hardened on VMware, using VMware PVSCSI for hard
15 disk, but e1000 for network.
16
17 Booted okay, and similar to the report on XenServer. But this time. I
18 got 2 (two) red asterisks during boot. The 1st one seems to say "Error
19 ... read-only file system". The second starts with "Warning temp file
20 left behind ..." (or something similar)
21
22 `rc-update del udev-postmount default && reboot` ... no problem.
23
24 Unmerged udev && reboot ... no problem.
27 There. No problem with XenServer and/or VMware. Except for the 1 or 2
28 red asterisks during boot (which I'm not sure caused by udev-->mdev
29 switch or something else).
32 I'll experiment with VirtualBox (on Windows) tomorrow. This might be
33 much more interesting :-)
36 Rgds,
37 --
38 FdS Pandu E Poluan