From: nunojsilva@×××××××.pt
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: No server profile anymore???
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 18:42:45
1 On 2013-02-10, Jarry wrote:
2
3 > Hi gentoo-users,
4 >
5 > today after syncing portage tree I tried to update my system,
6 > but I was "greeted" with message:
7 >
8 > !!! Your current profile is deprecated and not supported anymore.
9 > !!! Use eselect profile to update your profile.
10 > !!! Please upgrade to the following profile if possible:
11 > default/linux/amd64/13.0
12 >
13 > So I reverted to previous snapshot just to see what I had before
14 > ("eselect profile list" did not show any selected). Till today
15 > I had "default/linux/amd64/10.0/server". To my big surprise,
16 > there is no "server" profile for "default/linux/amd64/13.0".
17 >
18 > So is server-profile not suported anymore??? I hope devs had
19 > good reason for this, but anyway a change like *this* should
20 > definitely be communicated with users in advance...
21 >
22 > Right now I'm not sure if Gentoo is not supported for server
23 > at all or "13.0" is substitution for "10.0/server". But before
24 > there were pure "10.0" and "10.0/server" profiles. So it seems
25 > to me server profile was simply removed without any substitution.
26
27 No, the only reason the server profile existed was to have the name
28 "server" on it. Debate on the -dev list quickly led to the conclusion
29 that there was no point in keeping a separate "server" profile (we
30 already have the base profiles which are quite minimalistic, so they
31 *are* what the server profile should be, anyway).
32
33 In fact, if you are going to ask "they why did we have two different
34 profiles", well, that's how the discussion got to the point where the
35 decision was to ditch the /server profile.
36
37 From what I remember, differences were only a *couple* USE flags. So
38 just sitch to the base profile.
39
40 Now this could have used a news item, yes.
43 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
44 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/