From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: !! SOLVED !! Re: [gentoo-user] New monitor problems. < sighs>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 20:06:00
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Peter Humphrey
3 > <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Wednesday 15 December 2010 13:33:03 J. Roeleveld wrote:
8 >>> Not sure how much memory you have, but a 6Gig ramdisk mounted at
9 >>> /var/tmp/portage is sufficient to compile openoffice. That speeds
10 >>> things up even more ;)
11 >>>
12 >> The same size of tmpfs on /tmp also works even if you have only 4GB RAM,
13 >> as I have. When it gets too full it just starts swapping.
14 >>
15 > In my experience if it starts swapping, that is much slower than just
16 > using disk for /tmp in the first place. YMMV :)
20 My thought was that at least portage wouldn't stop the compile when it
21 ran out of room. I usually put /var on a separate partition and always
22 forget that OOo needs some space. I usually don't give it enough the
23 first time around. Doesn't OOo need about 4 or 5Gbs now?
24
25 Dale
26