From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to compile for less bits :)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 23:01:21
1 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> [10-09-30 00:32]:
2 > On 2010-09-29, meino.cramer@×××.de <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 > >> > (And in this context: The audio application "chuck" is only as 32bit
5 > >> > application available currently. How is it possible to compile this
6 > >> > on a 64bit system?)
7 > >>
8 > >> You use a compiler that generates code for a the desired 32-bit
9 > >> architecture. The "width" of the host is immaterial.
10 >
11 > > Thank you very much for your offered help!
12 > >
13 > > Sorry, sorry I think my English confused a lot of infos...
14 >
15 > Cross-building stuff is just plain confusing.
16 >
17 > > I'll try it again.
18 > >
19 > > Setup BEFORE I switched to 64bit Gentoo Linux.
20 > > * a "normal" system gcc as installed by emerge usually on many (all?) gentoo
21 > > systems...
22 > > * a "crosscompiling" gcc in source form. Compiled with the "normal"
23 > > gcc to an executable which runs on the 32bit Gentoo system and
24 > > produces executables/kernel to run on the ATMEL AT91RM9200 (yes,
25 > > you're right - this typo was mine ;) ).
26 > > * Additional "chuck" audio application only available for 32bit
27 > > Linux, also compiled with the "normal" gcc
28 > >
29 > > Wanted setup on my shiny new 64bit Gentoo Linux:
30 > > * a "normal" system gcc as installed by emerge usually on many (all?) gentoo
31 > > systems... (==> already there and living quite well)
32 > > * a "crosscompiling" gcc in source form. To be Compiled with the "normal"
33 > > gcc to an executable which runs on the 64bit Gentoo system and
34 > > produces executables/kernel to run on the ATMEL AT91RM9200 (yes,
35 > > you're right - this typo was mine ;) ) .
36 >
37 > All you need to do is build a cross compiler for the ARM9 target the
38 > same way you did before. The width of the host where you're building
39 > things doesn't matter (if it does, that's a bug in gcc or binutils).
40 >
41 > I've had excellent results using the crosstool-ng makefile:
42 >
43 > http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/crosstool
44 >
45 > Crosstool is used by a lot of embedded developers. If there were
46 > problems building an ARM comiler on an AMD64 host, Yann Morin et al.
47 > are your best bet for a solution. You may want to take a look at the
48 > crossgcc mailing list:
49 >
50 > http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gcc.cross-compiling
51 > http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/
52 >
53 > From a brief search of the mailing list, it appears that building an
54 > ARM compiler on an AMD64 machines works just fine.
55 >
56 > or,
57 >
58 > It's quite likely that you can install IA32 libraries on your AMD64
59 > host OS and then use the exact same compiler executable you used
60 > before.
61 >
62 > > OR: compiled to be an 32bit gcc-executable which generate
63 > > executable binaries for my ATMEL cookie. As long a 64bit-executable
64 > > of gcc can do the job I would prefer that solution of course.
65 >
66 > You really don't want to do that. It's rather tricky, and it
67 > shouldn't be required.
68 >
69 > > * Additional "chuck" audio application only available for 32bit
70 > > Linux, to be compiled with the "normal" gcc to be a 32 bit
71 > > executable since not 64bit-ready.
72 >
73 > Just use the arm-linux-gcc compiler and you should be fine regardless
74 > of the width of the host on which you built the arm-linux-gcc
75 > compiler.
76 >
77 > --
78 > Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! It's the RINSE CYCLE!!
79 > at They've ALL IGNORED the
80 > gmail.com RINSE CYCLE!!
84 Hi Grant,
85
86 thank you very much for your help again ! :)
87 Life on planet AMD64 becomes easier ;)
88
89 One question remains open to me:
90 * How can I build 32bit applicationa to run on a 64bit Gentoo Linux
91 (I have both /lib32 and /lib64 and /usr/lib32 and /usr/lib64)
92 with the "normal" gcc (64 bit executable) on the 64bit Gentoo Linux.
93 Is this trick possible?
94 ("Chuck" is not 64bit ready...)
95
96 Thank you very much for your help in advance!
97 Best regards,
98 mcc