From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Internal compiler error when compiling Chromium-62.0.3202.75
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 19:34:12
1 On Thursday, 9 November 2017 19:22:29 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday, November 9, 2017 6:14:26 PM CET Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > > On 2017-11-09, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > Apologies in advance for the long post, but has anyone else come across
5 > > > this?
6 > > >
7 > > > gen/storage/public/interfaces/blobs.mojom-shared-internal.h:539:5:
8 > > > internal
9 > > > compiler error: Segmentation fault
10 > > >
11 > > > }
12 > > > ^
13 > > >
14 > > > Please submit a full bug report,
15 > > > with preprocessed source if appropriate.
16 > > > See <https://bugs.gentoo.org/> for instructions.
17 > >
18 > > Does it always fault in exactly the same spot?
19 > >
20 > > If not...
21 > >
22 > > When I've run into "random" gcc segfaults when compiling very large
23 > > programs, it's always been a hardware problem. Every time except one,
24 > > it was failing RAM.
25 > >
26 > > I'd run memtest86 overnight.
27 >
28 > Also check it is not overheating.
29 > The one time I had random gcc segfaults was when I accidentally forgot
30 > decent airflow for the CPU about 20+ years ago.
31 >
32 > --
33 > Joost
34
35 Thanks Joost, it seems like random fault. I hope it is not faulty RAM - after
36 4 years of no evident problems. Anyway, I rebooted and the second time the
37 compile completed without error. :-/
38
39 This PC has a Zalman CPU cooler, the heat sink of which I flattened out to
40 make sure it makes good contact with the CPU surface. It will not show above
41 45-46.5°C even when running cpuburn on all cores.
44 Regards,
45 Mick