From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge latest in a certain version series of a package
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 21:04:55
1 Peter Humphrey <peter <at> prh.myzen.co.uk> writes:
4 > > Maybe you chose unwisely?............(get ATI next time) unless
7 > I've used nVidia cards for many years. When I bought my first one
8 > (maybe 20 years ago) ATI support in Linux was woeful, and the doggerel
9 > had it that the hardware was less competent too, so I chose nVidia.
10 >
11 > Since then I've seen more cries for help on this list from ATI
12 > owners than nVidia, so it's not clear to me which is the better choice
13 > these days. > Since I don't do bigotry my choice is on technical grounds,
14 > and I don't > need hardware 3D acceleration. So the jury's still out as
15 > far as I'm concerned. Well, maybe CUDA might ramp up my contribution
16 > rate to BOINC projects a bit. Again, no obvious winner.
17
18 I agree with all you have said. However Nvidia's policies, not their
19 hardware, is the problem, hence the degraded comment on their reputation.
20 A company may struggle with the latest, robust hardware, but they
21 do not have to behave as "jerks". Nvidia's lack of copperation with
22 their old hardware, puts them in the "jerks" column in my mindset.
23 Even cisco provides full and complete sources, (from russia with love!).
24
25 The person is using old hardware, and for a very long time, ATI has
26 been the better choice for folks using old (video) hardware. He's not
27 pushing the limits of performance; he just wants (needs?) a video card with
28 an open source solution. I like to (stongly) suggest to folks to
29 use their "checkbook" to influence the behavior of vendors, ymmv.
30
31 Folks with low_dollars are almost aways better off with ATI, particualar
32 if they intend to run 'vintage video hardware', imho.
35 peace and good hunting,
36 James