From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM: extending volume groups and logical volumes
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 04:15:43
1 On Fri, Dec 16 2011, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> On Fri, Dec 16 2011, Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Allan Gottlieb wrote:
7 >>>> One more thing. Some readers were suggesting I need 8 or so GB for
8 >>>> libreoffice. The failures occurred with 13GB. Today's /mnt/junk
9 >>>> success required 16GB. Fortunately sda8 has 50GB.
10 >>
11 >> Perhaps 9GB "should" be enough. But 16GB is needed. And eix confirms
12 >> that I don't have debug
13 >>
14 >> allan
15 >>
16 >> ajglap gottlieb # eix libreoffice
17 >> [I] app-office/libreoffice
18 >> [snip]
19 >> Installed versions: 3.4.99.1-r1(05:56:10 PM 12/16/2011)(branding dbus eds gnome graphite gstreamer gtk jemalloc nsplugin opengl svg vba webdav xmlsec -aqua -binfilter -debug -elibc_FreeBSD -gtk3 -java -kde -kdeenablefinal -mysql -odk -pdfimport -postgres -test)
23 > I got what I posted from the ebuild. This is the path and what it expects:
24 >
25 > root@fireball / # cat
26 > /usr/portage/app-office/libreoffice/libreoffice-3.4.99.1-r1.ebuild |
27 > grep DISK
28 > use debug && CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="15G" ||
29 > CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="9G"
30 > root@fireball / #
31 >
32 > If I read that correctly, 9Gbs of free space should be enough. Note
33 > that is FREE space not the size of the partition. It doesn't actually
34 > need that much in most cases but how much depends on USE flags and
35 > such. The devs take what is the maximum it could take and make it
36 > look for at least that much. Nobody wants to get that about 90%
37 > compiled to run out of space.
38 >
39 > If yours is looking for more than that then I would think it is
40 > something outside the ebuild that is causing a issue. While it does
41 > take a lot of space at times, I have never seen it take 16Gbs. I have
42 > portages work directory on tmpfs and it never gives me a error and I
43 > only have 16Gbs of ram.
44
45 I had 13GB left on /var when it died at which point /var had zero.
46
47 I made a new partition (/mnt/junk) with nothing else on it and built
48 libreoffice there.
49
50 In another terminal I ran
51
52 while true
53 do
54 df -h /mnt/junk | grep junk
56 done
57
58 df began at 0GB and grew to 16GB where it stayed (I was away when the
59 build finished)
60 So I am pretty sure that at the end it did indeed use 16GB.
61
62 allan
63
64 PS thanks again for rc single