From: Jeremy McSpadden <deface@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssmtp rewriting "From:" in emails...
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 17:45:34
1 rewriteDomain=yourdomain.com
2 hostname=yourdomain.com
5 Jeremy McSpadden
6 deface@×××××××××××.net
11 On Apr 22, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Jarry wrote:
12
13 > Hi,
14 >
15 > I have a strange problem: whenever my web-server sends registration
16 > emails, the sender field gets overwritten.
17 >
18 > "From:" should be:
19 >
20 > My Web Site <info@mywebsite>
21 >
22 > But email is delivered to the addressee from:
23 >
24 > added by portage for apache <apache@mywebsite>
25 >
26 > Logs on my web-server indicate the mail was handed over to
27 > the local MTA with the correct "From:" field. Logs on my
28 > mail-server (which is a different machine) show it has
29 > already received this mail for delivery with changed "From"
30 > field.
31 >
32 > In between is ssmtp, running on the same machine as web.
33 > I'm not quite sure, because I did not find any ssmtp-logs,
34 > but I suppose ssmtp is changing "From", simply to the user
35 > under which the process is running is substituted into
36 > "From" field.
37 >
38 > My /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf (without comments) is quite simple:
39 > root=postmaster
40 > mailhub=mymailserver
41 >
42 > How can I instruct ssmtp not to change "From:" fields
43 > in emails?
44 >
45 > Jarry
46 >
47 > --
49 > This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
50 > Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.