From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] A few suggestions for emerge world via cron
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 23:53:57
1 First my setup:
2
3 Fairly basic (newish) install (noX) in a Virtual Box vm on windows7 host
4
5 I'd like to hear some of the ways you all keep up with syncing and
6 update world.
7
8 Of course the basic call with cron is clear enough:
9
10 eix-sync
11 emerge -vuD world
12
13 But what I mean is how you handle things script wise, so that when
14 something doesn't compile or something else untoward happens during
15 `emerge -vuD world' things don't just get jacked up.
16
17 That may not be a very common occurrence, especially since my install
18 is quite basic, but I am running with `~x86' so it might be a bit more
19 likely to come up.
20
21 Also, what have users found to be good guess at how often to update
22 world? (given my console mode setup, and the fact that it is not a
23 server of any kind, more just a way to keep my hand in things gentoo)