From: brettholcomb@×××××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using Portage/emerge
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:38:26
1 If you do an emerge qmail -pv it will tell you what flags are available but not actually do the install. These flags control what options are used when qmail is installed. For example, Pine has some patches that were controlled by flags so if the flag is set then the option gets compiled in. In some cases the patches are included anyway and you tell that by looking at the ebuild.
2
3 Check man portage with particular attention to the /etc/portage files to control what versions are installed.
6 > From: Magnus Johansson <rnd-gentoo@×××.se>
7 > Date: 2004/12/08 Wed AM 10:21:27 GMT
8 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
9 > Subject: [gentoo-user] Using Portage/emerge
10 >
11 > Hi!
12 >
13 > I'm very new to gentoo. I've installed qmail and wanted to use the same
14 > patches that I'm used to so I did it the old way, download source, patch
15 > and install. Now, how do I tell Portage/emerge that qmail is actually
16 > already installed? (How should I have done it?)
17 >
18 > Also, when doing an 'emerge -tDu world' I found that adding a specific
19 > version to the spamassassin entry in /var/lib/portage/world lets me keep
20 > spamassassin 3.0.1 but doing the same with openldap 2.2.19 doesn't. The
21 > reason for emerge wanting to downgrade is courier-imap but in
22 > courier-imap-3.0.8.ebuild it only says 'ldap? (
23 > >=net-nds/openldap-1.2.11 )' and 2.2.19 is >= 1.2.11 . How do I make
24 > emerge let me keep openldap 2.2.19?
27 > --
28 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list