From: Datty <datty.wtb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Screen not turning on at startx. Nvidia Gfx
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:29:42
1 On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Monday 19 Sep 2011 09:05:21 Datty wrote:
4 > > Hi all,
5 > >
6 > > I've been having a few problems with my gentoo install mainly on boot
7 > where
8 > > my screen will be blank when starting X. X is definitely working in the
9 > > background because I can login blind and hear the login sound. To get it
11 > > work I have to continually switch between ttys until it decides to work
12 > > properly. Once into the X session with the screen on its fine,
13 > acceleration
14 > > etc is ok and it will happily resume from screensaver and display off. I
15 > > should point out though that the machine I'm using is a sony z13 with
16 > > hybrid graphics but I've got the bios forced to only use the nvidia card,
17 > > mainly because I couldn't even get the live cd to start with the hybrid
18 > > graphics on. I've attached my xorg.conf and my xorg.log. I've noted the
19 > > error in the xorg.log but the error is output even when the screen does
20 > > work correctly.
21 > >
22 > > Any ideas?
23 > >
24 > > Thanks
25 > >
26 > > Oliver
27 >
28 > Yes, your log shows: video=uvesafb
29 >
30 > Which doesn't work nicely with KMS, that the latest kernels provide. Have
31 > you
32 > looked at:
33 >
34 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
35 > --
36 > Regards,
37 > Mick
38 >
39 Thanks for the reply, I have looked at the document but unfortunately I
40 can't use Nouveau because I need 3d so I went for what I could use. I've
41 dropped uvesafb totally as it was pretty much useless anyway. It has sort of
42 helped a little, its coming up what seems like more often than before but
43 its still blanking quite a lot on boot. A few minutes of switching terminals
44 does eventually bring it up but there doesn't seem to be any reasoning
45 behind why it does and doesn't work. Nothing jumps out at me in the log
46 either.
47
48 Thanks
49