From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sync'ing and compiling pkgs for multiple PCs
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:15:46
1 On 31 Jul 2008, at 15:12, Simon wrote:
2
3 >> Yes, your words about "dependency" and "flexibility" are valid,
4 >> but this is also the most straightforward way to sync multiple
5 >> machines at once. If you do need to emerge a package when the
6 >> laptop is away from home then just --sync and it builds a portage
7 >> tree at the "missing mountpoint" (if that makes sense).
8 >
9 > I'll consider that, but seriously, I've tried many ways, including
10 > rsyncd, to sync portage on my computers and I've settled for
11 > unison. Really, I like it for its simplicity of use and
12 > maintenance and the fact that my host only has the ssh port open.
13 > Sync'ing portage is not a problem, i'll explore different ways
14 > along the way. Dont try to convince me of other ways, this one is
15 > working (and I don't mind whatever downsides).
16 >
17 >> Great! I'm glad you're happy with this. You're NFS exporting a sub-
18 >> directory of /usr/portage, then, in order to share the built
19 >> packages?
20 >
21 > As said, no. I'm using a separate copy on each host, which is
22 > sync'ed manually between those hosts. It may sound awful, but it
23 > actually syncs my /home directory, as well as my /root dir (where I
24 > keep important system stuff, like dev drivers source).
25
26 No, that's fine. Whatever works for you. Basically, as you say, you
27 want to keep it as transparent, seamless & automated as possible.
28 Whatever does the trick.
29
30 I would perhaps do some more investigation & start a new thread about
31 distcc problems.
32
33 Stroller.