From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] stage3 for notebook/pentium-m
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:38:40
1 On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 11:03:58AM +0200, Penguin Lover Heinz Sporn squawked:
2 > Am Freitag, den 31.03.2006, 10:12 +0200 schrieb jarry@×××.net:
3 > > Thanks to everyone who replied (Willie, Daniel, Todor...)
4 > >
5 > > Just out of curiosity: how long (approximately) does it take
6 > > to install a common gentoo-desktop (with X+KDE) on a notebook
7 > > (pentium-m 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM)? So that I knew how much time
8 > > to reserve for it...
9 >
10 > I have a 1.6 GHz Pentium-M with 512 MB RAM and I find that little beast
11 > a noch faster than my P4 2.4 desktop with 512 MB. I compiled a full
12 > blown Gnome environment including Firefox and OpenOffice 2 in less then
13 > a day. I didn't recognize temperature issues - every now and then the
14 > cooler turned on for a couple of minutes and that was it.
17 My experience is similar, though I'd say my laptop and desktop are
18 just about as fast (1.6PM+512ram vs 2.0P4+512ram). My last
19 'emerge -e world' on the laptop took just under 2 days: I don't
20 have any large packages like KDE or Gnome or OO, but that's also with
21 a lot of crap that I installed which is not necessary for a base
22 system.
23
24 If you leave you laptop in a well ventilated area, overheating
25 shouldn't be an issue.
26
27 As a side question, there used to be an option with 'genlop' which you
28 can pipe to it the output from 'emerge --pretend' and show the
29 expected total merge time. Is there a way of doing this with 'qlop'?
30
31 W
32 --
33 ARTHUR What is an Algolian Zylatburger anyway?
34 FORD They're a kind of meatburger made from the most
35 unpleasant parts
36 of a creature well known for its total lack of any
37 pleasant
38 parts.
39 ARTHUR So you mean that the Universe does actually end not
40 with a bang
41 but with a Wimpy?
42
43 - Cut dialogue from Fit the Fifth.
44 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 139 days, 8:50
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list