From: Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ridiculously wide handbook pages
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:40:02
1 On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Grant Edwards
3 > <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I've noticed recently that the Gentoo handbook web pages are
5 >> ridiculously wide. (It seems to me that they didn't used to be, but I
6 >> wouldn't swear to that).
7 >>
8 >> For example, look at this page:
9 >>
10 >>  http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=1&chap=2
13 > I'll admit that a couple of times I've found this frustrating but not
14 > enough that I'd ask anyone to change things.
15 >
16 > I think the frustration, candidly, is that the web page programming
17 > doesn't allow me to narrow the page as much as I might like and still
18 > read the text. Sometimes I just want the browser to cover 1/2 the
19 > screen, so that might be 600 pixels or so. Or maybe this is a Firefox
20 > thing, not sure.
21 >
22 > Anyway, I understand your point.
23 >
24 > - Mark
28 OK, well this is getting weird because that is exactly the behavior I
29 am seeing from both firefox and konqueror...it would appear I'm the
30 only one?
31
32 To be absolutely clear: When I resize the windows the text reformats
33 itself on the fly from wide short paragraphs to narrow long
34 paragraphs. No horizontal scroll bar which I agree is beyond annoying.
35 This is the behavior I see from pretty much all well-designed web
36 pages, and I rather thought it was default.
37
38 D
39 --
40 Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
41 I'm on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/badcomputer/