From: karl@××××××××.se
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 10:02:36
1 Dale:
2 > I'm looking at printers.  I been wanting a toner based printer for a
3 > LONG time now.
4
5 Office inkjet printers has come a long way to match laser/led printers.
6
7 > Brother HL-L3270CDW  Now I googled some, which can be dangerous at
8
9 I bought a Brother HL-L8260CDW for my mother and it works perfectly
10 fine for her, except it failes with out of memory for some photo print
11 jobs, she has both linux and MS-Windows computers.
12
13 ...
14 > Duty Cycle: Up to 30,000  Would that be OK for a printer for home use,
15 > likely heavy use the first couple months?
16 ...
17
18 Don't know what you classify as heavy use, but the 3270 looks like a
19 small, light duty printer.
20
21 ///
22
23 Generally, when I look for printers my spec is:
24 . postscript level 3 (or compatible)
25 . duplex/tumble (up to 200g/m²)
26 . A3 or larger
27 . >= two paper trays + manual feed
28 . up to 300g/m²
29 . matte blacks (most (all?) new printers make glossy printouts)
30 . clean, crisp and high resolution printouts
31 . lots of memory, fast cpu
32 . cable ethernet connection
33 . lpr port (515) and 9100
34 . price range
35
36 You havn't said your spec. so I cannot recommend anything for you.
37 But going A4/letter, there is too many to choose from, so start with
38 price range.
39
40 Regards,
41 /Karl Hammar