From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists.
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 07:57:37
1 On Thursday, 6 October 2022 08:52:04 BST Wol wrote:
2 > On 06/10/2022 08:33, Michael wrote:
3 > > On Thursday, 6 October 2022 05:39:59 BST Dale wrote:
4 > >> Howdy,
5 > >>
6 > >> This may not exist. If not, oh well. Sometimes when I'm moving files
7 > >> with Dolphin, I need a added feature. I tend to use split panes when I
8 > >> copy or move files. Quite often, I want to move files from one location
9 > >> to another and the new file use the same name as the old file I'm
10 > >> replacing. What I*wish* I could do, move the file from one pane to the
11 > >> other and drag the new file on top of the old file and it replace it
12 > >> with the name of the old file. As it is now, I have to bring up
13 > >> properties, select the name of the file, while not including the
14 > >> extension, and copy it, then close that window and open properties on
15 > >> the new file, highlight the old name, paste new name, close window, copy
16 > >> new file over and either delete old file or tell it to overwrite the
17 > >> file. Sometimes it has a different extension and I have to delete
18 > >> instead.
19 > >>
20 > >> It would be a lot faster if I could just drag it on top of file I want
21 > >> to replace and either it be configured to use name of old file for new
22 > >> file or me select in a pop up what I want to do. Basically, move and
23 > >> drop instead of all the properties, copy, repeat with paste on new file
24 > >> and then move and maybe delete a file as well. I went to the services
25 > >> window and looked for anything I could add but I didn't see anything
26 > >> that would do what I describe but it could be a hidden feature of one
27 > >> that isn't obvious.
28 > >>
29 > >> Has anyone ever seen something that does this? While I use dolphin, I
30 > >> may could use another tool if it has this feature.
31 > >>
32 > >> Thanks.
33 > >>
34 > >> Dale
35 > >>
36 > >> 😄 😄
37 > >
38 > > Perhaps I'm missing something ...
39 > >
40 > > If the old file has the*same* name as the new file, the file manager will
41 > > warn you and ask you if you want to rename the new file so as it does not
42 > > overwrite the old file, or if you want to replace the old file.
43 >
44 > This made me think. Some times the old tools are the best - maybe I
45 > ought to switch from Dolphin to Midnight Commander for my use case, and
46 > maybe you should too.
47 >
48 > Okay, it doesn't do exactly what you want, but the dance you want to do
49 > it will make it a lot easier ...
50 >
51 > Cheers,
52 > Wol
53
54 I just had a look in Dolphin configuration. Under General/Confirmations tab
55 you can select to disable asking for confirmation when you move files to
56 wastebin, or when you delete files of folders. Not sure if this is desirable,
57 as you could inadvertently delete a file without thinking first, but if you
58 are going to be deleting manually a lot of files, confirming this is something
59 you really want to do could become so repetitive you may want to disable it at
60 least for a while.