From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X-forwarding fails with "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key"
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:09:15
1 Grant wrote:
2 > X-forwarding used to work for me but I haven't used it in a while and now I get:
3 >
4 > Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
5 > Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
6 > Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server
7 > Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
8 > Cannot open display:
9 >
10 > I have:
11 >
12 > # cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | grep X11Forwarding
13 > X11Forwarding yes
14 >
15 > Does anyone know how to fix this?
16
17 Before using ssh (i.e. telnet, rsh and the likes) one had to manually
18 copy the mmc using: "xauth extract - $DISPLAY | rsh otherhost xauth
19 merge -" or something similar (i.e. the Xforwarding mechanism relies on
20 that the display that you want use have an identical mmc in the user
21 directory on the remote machine). The message "Warning: No xauth
22 data..." seems to indicate it's not creating a .Xauthority (=mmc) file
23 or an invalid one.
24
25 Further reading:
26 http://x2x.dottedmag.net/wiki/MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1