From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another mistakenly deleted partition to recover :(
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:08:42
1 On Thu, 2006-28-09 at 11:14 +0200, Wolfgang Illmeyer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Have a look at sys-block/gpart, it can probably help you.
5
6 Yes, I discovered gpart last night. It can be a useful tool for
7 partition problems, although in this case it has turned out that
8 testdisk was what I needed.
9
10 gpart doesn't deal with logical partitions very well. It took hours for
11 it to find my old partitions and even then it is left to you to do some
12 quite gruesome arithmetic to work out where the start of your partition
13 actually is. I just couldn't recreate a valid partition that way.
14
15 testdisk on the other hand immediately identified all the deleted
16 partitions and I only needed to select one button to write them back to
17 the partition map. After opening and saving them again in fdisk to make
18 the kernel aware of the changes I had my files back again.
19
20 However if you have changed anything on your disk apart from the
21 partition map you will need to use gpart and may the gods have mercy on
22 your soul.
23
24 > In your other thread you mentioned you had no space for backing up a
25 > partition. Too bad I didn't have the idea earlier, but you could create
26 > a "copy on write" partiton, for example with network block devices (needs
27 > kernel support and sys-block/nbd) or sys-fs/cowloop. This way, you could
28 > rescue any data, without touching your original partition and you have no
29 > need to backup the whole partition.
30
31 Never heard of this before. Will have to look into it. Could never work
32 out a good backup strategy, which is why I got in this mess.
33
34 I'll probably give gentoo a rest for now after all this. Try a live CD
35 for while--musix or dynebolic or something--see how I get on and decide
36 from there. I've learned a lot using gentoo but it's getting very time
37 consuming maintaining everything. After installing Ubuntu Dapper on a
38 couple of other machines my expecations of a Linux distro have become a
39 lot more demanding. I don't need to do everything. What I need most is
40 for music and video stuff to work without a lot of maintenance. Let
41 someone else with more sense than I am ever likely to have choose the
42 CFLAGS because my builds of rosegarden and whatnot are far too unstable.
43
44 But as I've said before, one thing that gentoo really has going for it
45 is a patient and knowledgeable user base. I've found the ubuntu
46 community to be very welcoming too, although generally it lacks the
47 accumulation of experience with hard problems that marks gentoo users
48 out.
49
50 Robert
51