From: Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd and lvm
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 13:26:14
1 On Sunday 06 January 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@×××××××××.net>
3 wrote:
4 > > On Friday 04 Jan 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 > >> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Robin Atwood
6 > >>
7 > >> <robin.atwood@×××××××××.net> wrote:
8 > >> > Having observed all the ranting, I thought I would try systemd on a
9 > >> > laptop. It actually seems to work quite well and it is a lot faster.
10 > >> > However I am having trouble getting my LVM partitions mounted. I
11 > >> > installed the LVM service unit from the Gentoo Wiki but it never
12 > >> > completes, timing-out on a job that mounts /var. The VG is actually
13 > >> > created by an initramfs and when systemd dumps you out to the
14 > >> > emergency shell you can use lvs to see the volumes, /dev/mapper has
15 > >> > all the correct devices and "dmsetup ls" shows the LVs. In fact,
16 > >> > everything appears as it should, the partitions just don't get
17 > >> > mounted. I circumvented this by putting "mount -a" in the lvm.service
18 > >> > unit, which then completes and the mount jobs time-out. Everything
19 > >> > seems to be OK but it is a bit of a kludge. One thing I notice is:
20 > >> >
21 > >> >
22 > >> >
23 > >> > # udevadm info -p /dev/mapper/vg00-rootfs -q all
24 > >> >
25 > >> > syspath not found
26 > >> >
27 > >> >
28 > >> >
29 > >> > Udev seems not to know about the LVs. Any ideas?
30 > >>
31 > >> How did you create your initramfs? Have you tried dracut, with
32 > >> DRACUT_MODULES="lvm"?
33 > >>
34 > >> Regards.
35 > >
36 > > I always use genkernel with LVM=YES in genkernel.conf. There is a thread
37 > > about the udev issue at
38 > > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6837888.html . I tried the
39 > > suggested work-around but it made no difference, I must still use "mount
40 > > - a".
41 >
42 > I've never used genkernel. You could try dracut; its mandatory
43 > dependencies are minimal, and it's actually designed to create an
44 > initramfs, not like genkernel, where the functionality was added as an
45 > afterthought.
46 >
47 > Another option is to roll your own initramfs, like the first responder
48 > in the forums thread.
49 >
50 > Good luck.
51
52 Maybe I will try dracut but I suspect the problem lies with systemd.
53
54 -Robin
55 --
57 Robin Atwood.
58
59 "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
60 Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
61 from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling