From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing my kernel
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 06:44:36
1 Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:33:22 +1200
3 > Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz> wrote:
4 >> A friend of mine does this for his production servers:
5 >>
6 >> 1/ builds the known needed things into the kernel
7 >> 2/ disables loadable modules completely
8 >>
9 >> This is probably not suitable for some use cases...(new raid card
10 >> ...ooops... redo kernel), but if you are deploying to known hardware
11 >> it is ok.
12 >>
13 >> Cheers
14 >>
15 >> Mark
16 > But Why? What's the benefit? If the code isn't being used, it isn't
17 > going to slow down the kernel is it? And the size of the kernel is
18 > irrelevant in my opinion -- the kernel is far from the predominant
19 > memory consumer on even a slow system. I think it's more likely that
20 > you'll have a problem with your kernel configuration than your kernel
21 > performance, and modules are the only way to add kernel support without
22 > rebooting. Furthermore, kernel modules have their own benefits --
23 > increased run-time configuration, for example (as opposed to a boot
24 > parameter). No, I agree with volker:
25 >
26 >> everything needed for booting: in kernel
27 >> everything needed all the time: in kernel
28 >> everything that needs a good kicking once in a while (usb, sound):
29 >> modules everything that needs parameters: modules
30 >> everything that is not needed all the time: module
31 >
32 > that way, you can also build modules on-the-fly to suit your needs and
33 > then compile them into the kernel, if desired, the next time you
34 > rebuild it.
35
36 FWIW for my own Gentoo systems I've just used genkernel, as its so
37 convenient - so I've probably ended up effectively doing volker's recipe
38 too....
39
40 Cheers
41