From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] udev problem during boot
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:19:13
1 Hi
2
3 After a lot of updates without rebooting (I`ve been keeping my computer on
4 during several weeks), now it can`t boot anymore. Thanks to the LiveDVD I`m
5 able to try somethings, including a "emerge --sync" and a "emerge -vuDN
6 world", followed up by a "etc-update" and a "revdep-rebuild" - nothing
7 strange and no results.
8
9 The error message is like this (I had to copy it by hand, sorry for any
10 typo):
11
12 *Press I to enter interactive mod
13 * Mounting proc at /proc ... [ok]
14 *** Skipping mount of /sys as /sys/kernel exists
15 ** *** Mounting /dev ... [ok]
16 ** ***** Starting udevd ... [ok]
17 **
18 ** ***** Populating /dev with existing devices through uevents ... [ok]
19 **
20 ** ***** Assuming udev failed somewhere, as /dev/zero does not exist **
21 ** ***** Mounting devpts at /dev/pts ... [ok]
22 **
23 ** ***** Caching service dependencies ... **
24 [ok]**
25 Can't open /dev/fb0 or /dev/fb/0
26 failed to configure resolution and icon positioning
27 Failed to load theme 'livecd-2007.0'
28 ** ***** Checking root filesystem ...
29 Failed to open the device '/dev/sda9': No such file or directory
32 ** ***** Filesystem couldn't be fixed :(
33 Give root password for maintenance
34 (or type Control-D to continue):
35 ** ** **
36 *Giving root password and listing the contents of the '/dev' directory,
37 there are very few entries, none for my disk partitions, for example.
38
39 I`ve already re-emerged udev, baselayout, and even built a new kernel -
40 currently using 2.6.27-r7 and tried 2.6.30-r8 (I guess there`s nothing to do
41 with the kernel, but I've built it just in case)
42
43 Most probably I missed some messages during the ebuilds of the updates I've
44 been applying.
45
46 Any ideas on where to look for?
47
48 Thanks a lot!
49 Francisco
50 --
51 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
52 and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one
53 idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." -
54 George Bernard Shaw