From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] aligning SSD partitions
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 07:49:27
1 On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 03:20:03 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > I plan to partition + format the SSD in my new machine very soon.
4 > The Arch wiki has an article on the subject, which says
5 > that recent versions of Fdisk will safely align SSD partitions.
6 >
7 > Is this correct ?
8
9 Yes, but all of this was covered in some detail a few days ago.
10
11 > My partition scheme is
12 >
13 > 1 boot 0,6 0,06 /boot
14 > 2 root 30 3,55 / including opt usr var
15 > 3 swap 4 -- swap
16 > 5 home 30 3,3 /home
17 > 6 portage 15 3,43 /usr/portage (distfiles 2,3)
18 > 7 z 41 1,5 /z
19 > total 121 19,45
20
21 If it's a new machine, use a GPT rather than DOS partition table.
22
23 I prefer to use a small ext2 filesystem for PORTDIR for speed and set
24 DISTDIR somewhere else (a directory in /z would make sense on your system
25 as the contents of DISTDIR are fairly temporary)
26
27 > I use /z/tmp/ for Portage's temporary disk space.
28 > Other items, eg /usr/local/ /usr/src/ wb on the HDD.
29 >
30 > I plan to put /tmp/ on a ram disk.
31
32 If you have enough RAM, use tmpfs for /tmp and set PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/tmp.
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 And then Adam said, "What's a headache?