From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: i486
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:56:22
1 On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 11:52:19 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > Take a look here:
4 >
5 > http://www.twam.info/hardware/chost-i586-vs-i486-on-amd-geode-lx
6
7 So 486 is equal to 586 on most tests but better on some and worse on
8 none. As far as the Geode LX is concerned, that makes the choice a
9 no-brainer. On the other hand, your other systems may benefit more from
10 i586 and the use you put the Geode to may not be affected by the cases
11 where the i586 is worse. It's a compromise, and only you know enough to
12 make the choice.
13
14 > > The CHOST is set in the stage 3 file, you must use the one that
15 > > matches your make.conf settings. Changing CHOST after installation is
16 > > non-trivial.
19 > So this is what you are suggesting?:
20 >
21 > CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"
22 > CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
23
24 It's the opposite of what I suggested. Either use i486 or i586, not a
25 mixture.
26
27 > Recall I have p1,p2,p3 and p4, as well as geode lx
28 > based systems.
29
30 But if you want a lowest common denominator, it means building for 486.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 I don't know what makes you tick but I wish it was a time bomb.