From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't ping remote system
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 13:13:04
1 On 05/09/2013 15:04, Grant wrote:
2 >>>> This is where it gets tricky. You identify the last router in the list
3 >>>> for which you have an address or name, and contact the NOC team for that
4 >>>> organization. Ask them for the next hop in routing for the destination
5 >>>> address you are trying to ping and hope that they will be kind enough to
6 >>>> help you out.
7 >>>
8 >>> Oh man that's funny. Really? Let's say they do pass along the info.
9 >>> Then I hunt down contact info for the culprit router based on its IP
10 >>> and tell them their stuff isn't working and hope they fix it?
11 >>> Actually, since the last IP displayed is from AT&T and my server's ISP
12 >>> is AT&T, I suppose it's extremely likely that the culprit is either an
13 >>> AT&T router somewhere or my own server and I could find out by calling
14 >>> AT&T.
15 >>
16 >> Well, I did try to convey a sense of what it sometimes takes to deal
17 >> with such things. Usually your ISP deals with it for you and you'd be
18 >> amazed how often they pick up the phone to do exactly what I described.
19 >
20 > You did, and I suppose it has to come down to that at some point.
21 > Thank you for your help Alan.
24 You're welcome, and I hope you get the issue satisfactorily solved (I
25 don't envy you at all)
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com